Introduction to the new SFF8639 Connector for Backplanes. SFF 8639 is an extension of the 8482 SAS Connector which has higher signal quality requirements (to support 12Gb/s SAS and gen 3 PCIe) and adds support for SATA Express and 4 lanes of MultiLink SAS or PCI Express.
The connector has a total of 6 High Speed signal paths, strangely each specification only ever uses up to 4 of them at any time.
The standard defines a backplane connector that is designed to support the following interfaces:
- Single Port SATA - All existing SATA Drives as defined by the SATA Specification Revision 3.1
- Two Port SATA Express - new SATA Express drives as defined in the soon to be ratified SATA Express Specification
- Dual Port SAS - All existing dual port SAS Drives up to 6Gb/S (SFF8482) and new 12Gb/S Drives (SFF8680)
- MultiLink SAS - new 4 lane SAS Drives (SFF8630)
- PCI Express - PCI Express disk drives with up to 4 lanes of PCI Express data (SFF8639,SSD Form Factor V1.0)
Whilst the connector is physically compatible with all of the drive types listed above, systems using this connector will probably only support a subset of these interfaces.